HURRICANE MARIA 2017
UPDATED MONDAY, OCTOBER 9, 2017 10:12 AM EST
We are responding to areas impacted by Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria.
On Monday, Hurricane Maria swept over the small island of Dominica as a Category 5 storm, with winds of up to 160 MPH. Overnight on Tuesday, September 19, Hurricane Maria battered St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands, and then made landfall on Wednesday, September 20 in the southeastern part of Puerto Rico as a powerful Category 4 storm, with winds up to 155 MPH.
Puerto Rico was already heavily damaged by Hurricane Irma, and most of the island was left without power as a result of the storm.
A total of nine containers of aid are expected to ship to Puerto Rico for victims of Hurricane Maria within the week. The shipments will be loaded with basic necessities as well as things such as safety and clean up supplies, bottled water, tarps and blankets. We are continuing to explore long-term recovery and rebuilding projects in the Leeward Islands, as well. More shipments are scheduled for all areas.
This morning, our Disaster Response advance team departed for Puerto Rico in response to Hurricane Maria. They will be followed by teams of medical professionals over the next few weeks. Together, they will set up clinics and provide medical care to communities recovering from the hurricane. The team will also assess needs and meet with partners to lay the groundwork for future shipments of aid.
DISASTER RELIEF DONATIONS
We will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations*: Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerky, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready-to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation.
- Clean-up supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, masks, shovels, screwdrivers, saws, etc.
- New and gently-used clothing: new underwear and socks in original packaging
- New and gently-used shoes
*Donors who would like to designate their financial gifts for Hurricane Maria Relief may do so by writing “Hurricane Maria Relief” in the memo line of their check or by typing it in the “in honor of” field of our online giving form. Please mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242. 100% of donated funds designated for Hurricane Maria Relief will be used for the purpose intended.
Please check to see if your company matches donations – you could double the impact of your gift!Return to Disaster Relief