TENNESSEE WILDFIRES 2016
UPDATED TUESDAY, DECEMBER 6, 2016 4:41 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries responded to wildfires in Tennessee that damaged hundreds of buildings, forcing thousands of people to evacuate their homes. It is estimated that more than 14,000 people in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge, as well as other parts of Sevier County, were evacuated. More than 100 homes were damaged or destroyed by the wildfires and as many as 2,000 people sought refuge in shelters. High winds and tinder-dry conditions contributed to the rapid growth of the fire. Much of the south had been suffering from a severe drought.
Our Disaster Response Team delivered supplies, including water, personal care kits, cleaning supplies, paper towels, and work gloves to the Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge area in response to the wildfires. While there, they met with partners to discuss their ongoing needs.
Matthew 25: Ministries will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations*: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
- Non-Perishable Food – MUST NOT be expired: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits, etc.; canned soup; canned meats like chicken or tuna; pre-boxed sides like mashed potatoes; dried goods such as pasta and rice; ready to eat products such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes; jerkies, ready to eat snacks, baby food/powder
- Personal Care Products: Baby wipes, diapers, diaper rash ointment, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc. feminine hygiene products, shampoo, deodorant, soap, hand sanitizer, tooth paste/brush, lip balm, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Squeegees, work and rubber gloves, safety glasses, buckets, brooms, mops, scrub brushes, sponges, general purpose cleaners, Dawn
- Paper products: Paper towels, toilet paper, paper or plastic plates, bowls, cups, utensils
- Clothing & Linens: New blankets, new pillows, new sheet sets, new socks, underwear, bras in original packaging
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
Matthew 25: Ministries will continue to post more information as it becomes available. Please continue to check this page and follow Matthew 25 on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date information regarding our response and how people can help.
*Donors who would like to designate their financial gifts for Wildfire Relief may do so by writing “Wildfire Relief” in the memo line of their check or by typing it in the “in honor of” field of our online giving form. Please mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242. 100% of donated funds designated for Wildfire Relief will be used for the purpose intended.Return to Disaster Relief