M25M RESPONDS TO LOUISIANA TORNADOES
Tornadoes, Storms and High Winds Race Through Densely Populated Area
FEBRUARY 8, 2017 Cincinnati, OH – Matthew 25: Ministries, an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization located in Cincinnati, OH is responding to a severe weather system that that struck New Orleans and surrounding areas on Tuesday, February 7. The system dropped multiple tornadoes in southern Louisiana, at least one of which did major damage to densely populated communities in east New Orleans, areas still recovering from the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005. Two of the tornadoes hit Orleans Parish, two more hit Livingston Parish, and three touched down in Tangipahoa, Ascension or St. James parishes. As many as 12,000 homes have been reported without power at some point, and there is major damage to homes and businesses.
Matthew 25: Ministries’ Disaster Response Team deployed on Wednesday, February 8 with Matthew 25’s complement of specialized disaster relief vehicles. Joined by the Tide Loads of Hope mobile laundry unit, the trucks are loaded with more than 10,000 pounds of relief supplies including P&G personal care kits, household and cleaning products, Cintas first aid and safety kits and supplies, and additional items such as Pampers diapers, Charmin toilet paper, Tide Pods, and tarps. The team expects to arrive in the affected area by the end of the week. The team will establish a central location and deliver aid directly to affected neighborhoods.
Matthew 25: Ministries will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerky, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
Matthew 25: Ministries will continue to post more information as it becomes available. Please continue to check their disaster webpage and follow Matthew 25 on Facebook and Twitter for the most up-to-date information regarding our response and how people can help.
Matthew 25: Ministries accepts cash, credit card and internet donations for ongoing disaster aid and humanitarian relief programs. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. All designated funds are used for the purpose intended. Matthew 25 also welcomes volunteers six days a week at their Blue Ash facility. For the most up-to-date information about Matthew 25: Ministries’ humanitarian aid and disaster relief efforts please contact Joodi Archer or Lauren Fogle at (513) 793-6256 or visit their website at www.m25m.org. Follow Matthew 25: Ministries on Facebook facebook.com/m25m.org, Pinterest pinterest.com/m25m, Instagram instagram.com/m25m_org and Twitter twitter.com/M25M_org.
ABOUT MATTHEW 25: MINISTRIES:
Matthew 25: Ministries rescues and reuses approximately 15,000,000 pounds of corporate discontinues, misprints, overruns, off-spec, slightly damaged, returned and past season products each year and redistributes them to people in desperate need throughout the US and worldwide. Each year, Matthew 25: Ministries impacts the lives of more than 16,000,000 individuals throughout the United States and around the world. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. Matthew 25 has been highly ranked on Forbes’ list of the Most Efficient Large Charities in the US. Matthew 25 is also highly ranked of approximately 2,500 four star charities on Charity Navigator. Matthew 25: Ministries is accredited by the Better Business Bureau through the “Wise Giving Alliance Standards”. For more information, or to schedule an interview, contact Joodi Archer or Lauren Fogle at Matthew 25: Ministries (513) 793-6256 or visit www.m25m.org.Return to Press Center