M25M RESPONDS TO ECUADOR EARTHQUAKE
7.8 Magnitude Quake Strikes Northwestern Coast
APRIL 17, 2016 Cincinnati, OH – Matthew 25: Ministries, an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization located at 11060 Kenwood Road in Blue Ash, is responding to the earthquake that struck Ecuador on Saturday evening. The magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Ecuador’s central coast, killing at least 142 people and injuring 588.
A state of emergency is in effect for six provinces, Guayas, Manabi, Santo Domingo, Los Rios, Esmeraldas and Galapagos. Authorities have said they are having difficulty reaching some of the more remote areas close to the heart of the impact due to landslides that are making it challenging for emergency workers to reach the towns hardest hit.
The tremor was centered approximately 17 miles southeast of the coastal town of Muisne, about 300 miles away from the capital of Guayaquil. Muisne is a small town in northwestern Ecuador, with approximately 6,000 inhabitants.
The earthquake is the deadliest to hit Ecuador since March 1987, when a 7.2-magnitude earthquake killed 1,000 people. The Ecuadoran earthquake follows two recent quakes more than 6,000 miles away, a magnitude 6.1 earthquake in the island nation of Tonga and a 7.3-magnitude earthquake that struck Japan’s Kumamoto Province. Ecuador’s earthquake has been described as six times stronger than the one which hit Japan, releasing 20 times as much energy.
“Matthew 25 is in contact with our partners in this area and will be responding to this disaster once we’ve received their reports,” says CEO Tim Mettey. “Our thoughts and prayers are with the people affected by the earthquake.”
Matthew 25: Ministries will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242.
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerky, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
Matthew 25: Ministries accepts cash, credit card and internet donations for ongoing disaster aid and humanitarian relief programs. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. All designated funds are used for the purpose intended. For the most up-to-date information about Matthew 25: Ministries’ humanitarian aid and disaster relief efforts please contact Joodi Archer at (513) 793-6256 or visit their website at www.m25m.org. Follow Matthew 25: Ministries on Facebook facebook.com/m25m.org, Pinterest pinterest.com/m25m and Twitter twitter.com/M25M_org.
ABOUT MATTHEW 25: MINISTRIES: Matthew 25: Ministries rescues and reuses approximately 15,000,000 pounds of corporate discontinues, misprints, overruns, off-spec, slightly damaged, returned and past season products each year and redistributes them to people in desperate need throughout the US and worldwide. Each year, Matthew 25: Ministries impacts the lives of more than 16,000,000 individuals throughout the United States and around the world. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. Matthew 25 is highly ranked on Forbes’ list of the Most Efficient Large Charities in the US. Matthew 25 is also highly ranked of more than 2,500 four star charities on Charity Navigator. Matthew 25: Ministries is accredited by the Better Business Bureau through the “Wise Giving Alliance Standards.” For more information, or to schedule an interview, contact Joodi Archer at Matthew 25: Ministries (513) 793-6256 or visit www.m25m.org.Return to Press Center