M25M Responds to 1,000-Year Flood in West Virginia
WHO: Matthew 25: Ministries
WHAT: Disaster Relief
WHEN: Monday, June 27
TIME: 2:00 PM
WHERE: Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242
WHY: Responding to Severe Flooding in West Virginia
44 Counties included in State of Emergency after Historic Event
JUNE 27, 2016 Cincinnati, OH – Matthew 25: Ministries, an international humanitarian aid and disaster relief organization located at 11060 Kenwood Road in Blue Ash, is responding to severe flooding that has affected multiple counties in central and southern West Virginia.
Heavy storms swept across West Virginia early on Thursday, June 23 and continued all day, leaving flooded roads impassable and tens of thousands of people without power. A state of emergency was issued on Thursday for 44 counties, with Greenbrier, Nicholas, Fayette, Kanawha and Webster the hardest hit. At least 25 deaths have been reported as a result of flooding.
Matthew 25: Ministries’ Disaster Response team is leaving for West Virginia on Monday June 27 with Matthew 25’s full complement of specialized Disaster Relief vehicles. Joined by the Tide Loads of Hope mobile laundry unit, the trucks are loaded with almost 12,000 pounds of relief supplies including P&G Comforts of Home personal care kits containing items such as Secret deodorant, Crest toothpaste and Pantene shampoo as well as household cleaning products like Bounty, Mr. Clean and Dawn. The trucks will also be distributing Cintas first aid and safety supplies, and additional items such as Pampers diapers and Charmin toilet paper. Matthew 25’s disaster response fleet also includes an ice machine that can produce up to 10,000 pounds of ice a day. Additionally, Matthew 25 will be sending two truckloads of water, holding more than 90,000 bottles.
“West Virginia is close to home and close to our hearts,” said Matthew 25’s CEO Tim Mettey. “We work actively in West Virginia throughout the year and this response is an extension of our ongoing work. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of the affected areas during this time of need.”
Matthew 25: Ministries will accept the following for disaster relief:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 (write “flood relief” in memo section to designate a gift for flood victims)
- BOTTLED WATER and Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerkies, ready to eat snacks; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
Matthew 25: Ministries accepts cash, credit card and internet donations for ongoing disaster aid and humanitarian relief programs. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. All designated funds are used for the purpose intended. Matthew 25 also welcomes volunteers six days a week at their Blue Ash facility. For the most up-to-date information about Matthew 25: Ministries’ humanitarian aid and disaster relief efforts please contact Joodi Archer at (513) 793-6256 or visit their website at www.m25m.org. Follow Matthew 25: Ministries on Facebook facebook.com/m25m.org, Pinterest pinterest.com/m25m/, Instagram instagram.com/m25m_org and Twitter twitter.com/M25M_org.
ABOUT MATTHEW 25: MINISTRIES: Matthew 25: Ministries rescues and reuses approximately 15,000,000 pounds of corporate discontinues, misprints, overruns, off-spec, slightly damaged, returned and past season products each year and redistributes them to people in desperate need throughout the US and worldwide. Each year, Matthew 25: Ministries impacts the lives of more than 16,000,000 individuals throughout the United States and around the world. More than 99% of Matthew 25: Ministries’ cash and in-kind donations go toward programs. Matthew 25 has been highly ranked on Forbes’ list of the Most Efficient Large Charities in the US. Matthew 25 is also highly ranked of approximately 2,500 four star charities on Charity Navigator. Matthew 25: Ministries is accredited by the Better Business Bureau through the “Wise Giving Alliance Standards”. For more information, or to schedule an interview, contact Joodi Archer at Matthew 25: Ministries (513) 793-6256 or visit www.m25m.org.Return to Press Center