HURRICANE IOTA 2020
UPDATED FRIDAY NOVEMBER 20, 2020 8:56 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to Hurricane Iota, which made landfall Monday night, November 16th as an extremely dangerous Category 4 storm near Puerto Cabezas, about 15 miles from where Hurricane Eta made landfall just 13 days earlier. The storm caused over 40 deaths, displaced hundreds of thousands of people, and caused widespread devastation throughout parts of Central America. Heavy rainfall from the storm reached 10 inches, with isolated totals of up to 30 inches in Honduras and large portions of Nicaragua, Guatemala and Belize, causing flash flooding.
Matthew 25: Ministries is working closely with partners on the ground to identify most urgent needs and we are shipping relief supplies such as personal care supplies, household and cleaning products, blankets, and more to the disaster region. In addition to Hurricane Iota relief, Matthew 25 is currently providing aid to areas affected by Hurricane Eta and already has supplies in the disaster region. Matthew 25 has shipped more than 100,000 pounds of aid to the disaster area to date, with additional shipments scheduled. Matthew 25 will continue to provide aid for both of these storms.
Matthew 25: Ministries has been responding to disasters in Central America since 1998, when Matthew 25 collaborated with the US Air Force through the Denton Program to ship more than 1,400 tons (almost 3 million pounds) of supplies to countries affected by the hurricane, including Nicaragua, Honduras and El Salvador.
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies and for distributions and restocking during the response:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for Hurricane Iota Relief will be used for the purpose intended)
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning Supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper Products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and Infant Supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-Aid Items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first-aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- Clean-up Supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, masks, shovels, screwdrivers, saws, trash bags, etc.
- Candles and Flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation.