KENTUCKY FLOODING JULY 2021
UPDATED TUESDAY AUGUST 10, 2021 4:10 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to severe flooding that occurred across parts of Kentucky late last week. Over four inches of rain fell across Nicholas County causing major flash flooding throughout the county capital of Carlisle and along the Brushy Fork Creek and led to at least one fatality. Around 80 homes and 30 businesses have been destroyed by flooding. The flooding caused multiple road closures and the city’s sewer system is not operational. The only grocery store in the area was destroyed by the flood with the next closest location 15 miles away. Kentucky Governor Andy Beshear has issued a state of emergency.
On Saturday, August 7, in partnership with Procter & Gamble and Cintas, our Disaster Response Team deployed with our customized panel trucks loaded with relief supplies. The team distributed approximately 150 personal care kits, 900 rolls of paper products, 600 detergent pods, 2,900 bottles of water, and more to a local distribution center and throughout areas impacted by the flooding. We are working with partners in the area to evaluate ongoing needs. This is Matthew 25’s second deployment in 2021 in response to severe flooding in Kentucky.
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response to the Kentucky Flooding, and for future distributions:
- Monetary donations: Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for Kentucky Flood Relief will be used for the purpose intended)
- Cases of bottled water (12- and 24- count)
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.