SOUTHEAST TORNADOES 2019
UPDATED FRIDAY, MARCH 8, 2019 9:20 AM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to deadly tornadoes that swept through Alabama and Georgia on Sunday, March 3. The tornadoes produced massive damage across a large area approximately 1 mile wide and 30 miles long.
The powerful tornadoes that tore through Lee County in Alabama killed at least 23 people and left a path of destruction that looked “as if someone had taken a blade and just scraped the ground,” said the Lee County Sheriff. Sunday’s storms mark the deadliest day for tornadoes in Alabama since the Tuscaloosa-Birmingham tornado in 2011.
Matthew 25: Ministries’ Disaster Response Team departed on Tuesday, March 5 for Alabama and Georgia with a selection of Matthew 25’s Disaster Response vehicles loaded with supplies. The team distributed aid to affected communities and met with partners to discuss long-term distribution opportunities. In total, our on-the-ground team distributed approximately 800 personal care kits, 25 first-aid and safety kits, 6,800 rolls of paper products, 1,000 detergent pod samples, 220 cases of diapers, 320 bottles of all-purpose cleaner, 380 pairs of work gloves, 250 packs of batteries, 25 generators, 40 blower fans, 25 rolls of garbage bags, and 70 tarps.
Matthew 25 also shipped a semi of aid to partners in the affected area. The shipment contained nearly 15,000 pounds of products, including personal care items, paper towels, toilet paper, facial tissues, diapers and batteries.
Matthew 25 is always seeking additional supplies for disaster preparedness and distribution. Always needed and appreciated supplies include:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 100% of donated funds designated for Hurricane Relief will be used for the purpose intended.
- Non-Perishable Food: PULL TOP canned vegetables, fruits etc.; ready to eat dry goods such as nuts, peanut butter, dried fruits, granola and trail mixes, jerkies, ready to eat snacks; bottled water; ready- to-eat meals or MREs etc.
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
- New and gently used clothing; new underwear and socks in original packaging
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation
- Clean-up supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, masks, shovels, screwdrivers, saws, trash bags etc.
Matthew 25: Ministries accepts cash, credit card and online donations for ongoing disaster aid and humanitarian relief programs.