SYRIA & TURKEY EARTHQUAKES 2023
UPDATED THURSDAY FEBRUARY 23, 2023 11:23 AM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to the catastrophic earthquakes that struck Syria and Turkey early Monday, February 6. A powerful magnitude 7.8 earthquake, one of the strongest to hit the region in more than 100 years, was followed by an additional 7.5 magnitude quake and multiple aftershocks, collapsing thousands of buildings and killing more than 40,000 people, with tens of thousands more injured. The death toll is expected to continue to rise.
Matthew 25: Ministries is working with a long-term international partner to airlift supplies into the disaster region for immediate distribution. Matthew 25 will continue to ship additional aid in the coming weeks, as well as provide long term relief. These supplies will include medical supplies, personal care items, clothing, blankets, and more, to help meet the critical needs of people impacted by the earthquakes. These supplies help to provide hope and help in times of great need.
“This is a disaster that will take years to recover from,” says CEO Tim Mettey. “Our hearts go out to the families of those who have died or been injured as a result of this disaster and those who are missing. Matthew 25 will continue to work with partners in the area to respond to the most urgent and ongoing needs of those impacted. Our thoughts and prayers are with the people of Turkey and Syria during this time of desperate need.”
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for the earthquakes in Syria and Turkey will be used for the purpose intended).
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation
- Clean-up Supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, trash bags, etc.