HURRICANE FIONA 2022
UPDATED WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 12:15 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to the aftermath of Hurricane Fiona in Puerto Rico. The Category 1 hurricane struck Puerto Rico with destructive winds on Sunday, 9/18, knocking out power to the entire island population of over 3 million and leaving behind life-threatening flash flooding and the potential for mudslides and landslides. Wind gusts reached 50 to 100 sustained mph with the strongest gust clocked at 103 mph. The storm initially made landfall along the southwestern coast of the island and many locations experienced rainfall of over 10 inches, with some experiencing up to 20 inches or more.
Matthew 25: Ministries is in communication with ongoing partners whom serve Puerto Rico assess ongoing needs. Matthew 25 is working with these partners to ship containers of supplies needed to help with the recovery process and to help bring aid to those affected by this disaster.
Almost five years ago to the day, Puerto Rico was battered by Hurricane Maria, a powerful Category 4 storm, with winds up to 155 mph that also knocked out the entire power grid. Maria came on the heels of Hurricane Irma, which had also heavily damaged the island. In the months immediately following Hurricane Maria, Matthew 25 shipped 21 containers of aid, almost half a million pounds, to on-the-ground partners and also sent a medical mission team that spent two weeks on the ground providing medical care to approximately 900 people, and distributing disaster supplies to approximately 10,000 people. Matthew 25 also distributed more than 30,000 water purifier sachets (the prepared equivalent of 16 truckloads of water).
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for Hurricane Fiona Relief will be used for the purpose intended).
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- New, in original packaging: Power tools, fans, generators, etc.