HAWAII WILDFIRES 2023
UPDATED MONDAY SEPTEMBER 25, 2023 1:24 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to severe wildfires that swept across Maui in August 2023. Dangerous wildfires devastated parts of Maui, ravaging island communities including the historic town of Lahaina, a National Historic Landmark and former capital of the Hawaiian Kingdom. Hawaii was experiencing drought conditions when a nearby hurricane brought high winds with gusts over 60 MPH sweeping across the islands, burning vegetation and then spreading into more populated areas, knocking out power lines and decimating communities. Hundreds of buildings in Lahaina and other towns have been damaged or destroyed.
So far, Matthew 25 has shipped over 30,000 pounds of essential supplies such as personal care kits, baby supplies, paper products, cleaning supplies, first aid and safety kits, personal protective equipment and more to areas impacted by the wildfires. Matthew 25 also deployed our team to assist with supply distribution, provide additional services, and work with partners to plan for ongoing needs. We will continue to provide aid for as long as there is a need.
“The devastation from this wildfire is heartbreaking. This is a historic event in the most tragic sense of the word, and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone who has been impacted by this disaster. Everyone who has been affected will have a long and challenging recovery and we are grateful to our corporate product donors, financial donors and volunteers who support our work everyday and make it possible for us to help during times of need like these. Matthew 25 is committed to ongoing support for the areas impacted.” – Tim Mettey, Matthew 25: Ministries’ CEO
DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES
If you or someone you know has been impacted by the wildfires in Hawaii, check our online Disaster Relief Resource Map for resources in your area.
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for the 2023 Hawaii Wildfires will be used for the purpose intended).
Product donations – The following items will be accepted at our facility located at 11083 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242:
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation
- Clean-up supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, trash bags etc.