HURRICANE IAN 2022
UPDATED MONDAY OCTOBER 24, 2022 10:08 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to Hurricane Ian which made landfall in Cayo Costa, FL as a Category 4 hurricane on Wednesday afternoon, September 28. The storm came ashore with maximum sustained winds near 150 mph and brought life-threatening storm surge of at least 12 feet in some areas, leaving more than 2.5 million homes and businesses without power at its peak.
Ian downgraded to a Tropical Storm on Thursday, September 29 and regained hurricane status just before it made landfall near Georgetown, South Carolina, with maximum sustained winds of 85 mph.
In partnership with Procter & Gamble, Matthew 25: Ministries’ Disaster Response Team and fleet began deploying for Florida on Saturday, Oct 1. The team distributed essential products and provided much-needed services throughout the impacted areas.
Over the past few weeks, our Disaster Response Team completed over 2,500 loads of laundry, handed out more than 1,000 bags of ice, and distributed approximately 4,000 detergent pods, 750 first aid and safety kits, 1,000 personal care kits, 22,000 rolls of paper products, 80,000 batteries, 11,500 portable chargers, and more to help people recovering from the storm.
“The devastation of this storm is heartbreaking. Everyone affected by this disaster will have a long road to recovery,” says Tim Mettey, CEO. “We are grateful to be able to help during this time, providing much needed services and supplies that will bring hope to those impacted.”
In addition to deploying their Disaster Response team, Matthew 25 has also shipped over 30 truckloads of aid so far. We will continue working with partners throughout the affected areas to help with ongoing recovery efforts.
DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES
If you or someone you love was impacted by Hurricane Ian, check the online Disaster Relief Resource Map for relief supplies and services in your area.
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for Hurricane Ian Relief will be used for the purpose intended).
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- New, in original packaging: Power tools, fans, generators, etc.