MISSISSIPPI TORNADOES 2023
UPDATED FRIDAY MARCH 31, 2023 8:39 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to the devastating storms and tornadoes that tore through Mississippi on Friday, March 24, leaving behind a trail of damage more than 100 miles long. There have been at least 23 fatalities, with dozens injured after destructive storms ravaged Mississippi, destroying homes, damaging neighborhoods and leaving thousands without power. The towns of Rolling Fork and Silver City were especially hard hit.
In partnership with Procter & Gamble, Matthew 25: Ministries deployed our disaster response fleet including customized panel trucks loaded with P&G Personal Care Product Kits, household cleaning supplies, baby items, bottled water, and additional items including first aid and safety supplies provided by Cintas and tarps provided by Lamar. Matthew 25 also deployed the Tide Loads of Hope Mobile Unit that can complete up to 100 loads of laundry a day, the Duracell PowerForward truck equipped to carry as many as 20,000 Duracell batteries as well as on-board charging stations for mobile devices, and a Clean-Up Trailer equipped with tools and other supplies to help those cleaning up their homes and properties. The team is distributing products and providing laundry and mobile charging services throughout affected areas. Matthew 25 will also continue working with partners to assess ongoing needs.
“The devastation from this storm is heartbreaking and will take years to recover from,” says CEO Tim Mettey. “Mississippi is an area that we have responded to before and we are in contact with our partners to see how we can best assist them with relief and recovery. Our thoughts and prayers go out to all those who have been impacted by these catastrophic storms.”
In addition to deploying our Disaster Response Team, Matthew 25 is shipping truckloads of relief aid to help meet the immediate and ongoing needs of those impacted.
DISASTER RELIEF RESOURCES
If you or someone you love was impacted by the storms in Mississippi, check the online Disaster Relief Resource Map for resources in your area.
RECENT UPDATES FROM THE TEAM
3.30.23 Rolling Fork & Silver City, MS | The team continued relief services today, March 30, in the Rolling Fork and Silver City, MS areas. The team completed laundry and distributed supplies such as personal care kits, paper products, first aid and safety kits, batteries, portable chargers, cleanup tools, and more throughout impacted communities.
The team will distribute supplies tomorrow, March 31, throughout affected areas in Winona, MS. Please note, this schedule is subject to change due to the threat of severe weather in the area.
3.29.23 Rolling Fork, MS | The team continued relief services today, March 29, in the Rolling Fork, MS area. The team completed laundry and distributed supplies such as personal care kits, paper products, first aid and safety kits, batteries, portable chargers, cleanup tools, and more throughout impacted communities.
3.28.23 Rolling Fork, MS | The team began relief services today, March 28, in the Rolling Fork, MS area. The team completed laundry and distributed supplies such as personal care kits, paper products, first aid and safety kits, batteries, portable chargers, cleanup tools, and more throughout impacted communities.
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for the 2023 Mississippi Tornadoes will be used for the purpose intended).
Product donations – The following items will be accepted at our facility located at 11083 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242:
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation
- Clean-up supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, trash bags etc.