HURRICANE OTIS 2023
UPDATED MONDAY OCTOBER 30, 2023 2:33 PM EDT
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to Hurricane Otis which tore through Acapulco, Mexico early Wednesday morning, October 25, as a category 5 storm, leaving the town in ruins and causing dozens of fatalities.
Originally a tropical storm, Otis rapidly intensified into a dangerous Category 5 hurricane over a period of just 12 hours. The hurricane caused massive flooding, tearing buildings apart, submerging roads and leaving large portions of the southwestern Mexican state of Guerrero without power, water or communication. While Otis has weakened, the resulting heavy rains may continue impacting the region, triggering flash floods and mudslides.
Matthew 25: Ministries is working with partners serving the area to evaluate how we can best support the needs of the disaster region, and is shipping truckloads of essential supplies such as personal care products, baby supplies, paper products, cleaning supplies, first aid and safety supplies, blankets and more to areas impacted by the storm.
WAYS TO HELP
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their response and for future disasters:
- Donate online or mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for the 2023 Hurricane Otis will be used for the purpose intended).
Product donations – The following items will be accepted at our facility located at 11083 Kenwood Road, Blue Ash, OH 45242:
- Cases of bottled water: 12 and 24 count
- Personal care products: Antibacterial soap, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion, etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves, etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels, etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, etc.
- First-aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs, etc.
- Candles and flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation
- Clean-up supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, trash bags etc.