ST VINCENT VOLCANO ERUPTION 2021
UPDATED THURSDAY APRIL 15, 2021 5:00 PM EST
Matthew 25: Ministries is responding to the La Soufrière volcano eruptions on the Caribbean Island of St. Vincent. These major eruptions began on Friday, April 9 and have continued this week. The eruptions have shot plumes of ash 6 miles high, raining heavy ash fall on surrounding communities and traveling as far as the neighboring islands of Barbados and the Grenadines. Much of St. Vincent remains buried under ash and the continuing eruptions are threatening water and food supplies on the island. The La Soufriere volcano has displaced roughly 20,000 people, approximately 4,000 of whom are living in shelters around the island. The National Emergency Management Organization indicated that “explosions and accompanying ash fall, of similar or larger magnitude, are likely to continue to occur over the next few days.”
Matthew 25 is shipping containers of aid to partners serving the region, loaded with supplies including blankets, dish detergent, disinfectant cleaner, paper products, personal care supplies, and additional cleaning items. Matthew 25’s partner Food For The Poor is also airlifting critical necessities to those impacted by this disaster, including supplies Matthew 25 prepositioned with them earlier in the year for rapid initial response to catastrophic events. Having these crucial supplies already on-hand is extremely important when disasters occur because it allows Matthew 25’s local partners to distribute these initial items to those who need them as quickly as possible.
Matthew 25 is requesting donations of the following types of items to supplement existing supplies, for restocking during their St. Vincent volcano eruptions response, and for future distributions:
- Monetary Donations: Donate online, mail checks to Matthew 25: Ministries, 11060 Kenwood Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242 (100% of donated funds designated for the St Vincent Volcano Relief will be used for the purpose intended)
- Cases of bottled water (12- and 24- count)
- Personal Care Products: Antibacterial soap, hand sanitizer, toothpaste, toothbrushes, shampoo, body wash, deodorant, lotion etc.
- Cleaning supplies: Laundry detergents, general cleaner, sponges, bleach (powdered form is preferred), mops, scrub brushes, buckets, rubber gloves etc.
- Paper products: Toilet paper, paper towels etc.
- Baby and infant supplies: Diapers, wipes, diaper rash ointment, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion etc.
- First-Aid items: Bandages, gauze, pads, first aid tape, antiseptic creams, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol, latex gloves, instant cold packs etc.
- Clean-up Supplies: Protective eyewear, work gloves, masks, shovels, screwdrivers, saws, trash bags etc.
- Candles and Flashlights: If necessary, please include the appropriate size batteries with any flashlight donation.